Dr Teh Chui Yao
School of Biological Science
- Postdoctoral (Molecular Biology), Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- Ph.D-Plant Biotechnology, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- BSc. (Hons)-Biochemistry, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
Teaching and research experience:
- QIUP-lecturer, BSc (Hons)-Biotechnology (March 2019 to present)
Taught the following subjects
- BBT1105 Genetics, BBT 1104 Biodiversity and Ecosystems, BBT2201 Plant Physiology, BBT3201 Crop Physiology and Biotechnology, BBT3209 Genomics and Proteomics, BBT3106 Bioethics, Biosafety and Bioregulation
- Final Year Project BBT4301 Coordinator
Research (2012 to present)
- Micropropagation and genetic diversity of tissue cultured pineapple (2011-2012).
- Physiological and biochemical responses of selected Malaysian rice varieties treated with exogenous stress protectants under salt stress (2012-2016).
- Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of rice gene encoding putative Brassinosteroid- insensitive 1-associated kinase in relation to yield traits (2016-2019).
- Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel necrosis and ethylene inducing protein from Ganoderma boninense, the causal agent of basal stem rot (BSR) disease in oil palm (2018-2020).
- Elucidating the role of proline in enhancing the crop productivity under abiotic stress condition (2019 to present)
Major research interests
- Plant stress physiology (Plant stress responses and adaptation)
- Functional analysis of fungal pathogen recombinant protein
- Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in relation to desired agronomic traits in crops
- Formulation of bio-fertiliser from beneficial microbes against crop diseases.
- Development of elite plant tissue culture material for fruit crops, ornamentals and medicinal plants
- Biochemistry, Plant Biotechnology, Plant tissue culture, Proteomics, Molecular Biology
- Project coordinator for QIU Sustainable Agri-Research (2019 to present)
- Scientific committee of QIU Intervarsity Science Symposium (QISS 2019)
List of publications
- Nur Aini, M. K., Teh, C. Y., Parameswari, N., Nur Fatihah, M. F., and Ho, C. L. (2020). Analysis of yield related agronomic traits of Malaysian rice varieties. Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. 28(3):59-74.
- Clement, W. K.F, Teh, C. Y., Ganesan, V., Noor Baity, S., and Dzarifah, Z. (2020). Development of detached root and leaf assays to evaluate the antagonistic properties of biocontrol agents against Fusarium wilt of banana. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. ISSN: 0323-5408 (Print). (Q3, I.F 0.56)
- Muazr, A. H., Nur Aini, M.K., Athirah, S., Nadia, M. Norliana, I. M. R., Teh, C. Y., and Ho, C. L. (2020). Nucleotide variations of 9‑cis‑epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase 2 (NCED2) and pericarp coloration genes (Rc and Rd) from upland rice varieties. 3 Biotech, 10: 105. (Q2, I.F 1.479)
- Clement, W. K.F, Dzarifah, Z., Ganesan, V., Noor Baity, S., and Teh, C. Y., (2019). Phylogenetic Analysis of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense Associated with Fusarium Wilt of Bananas from Peninsular Malaysia Sains Malaysiana. 48:1593-1600. (Q4, I.F 0.43).
- Teh, C. Y., Mohd, R. Y., Parameswari, N., Nur Aini, M.K., and Ho, C. L. (2020).Association analysis of rice grain traits with single nucleotide polymorphisms in a Brassinosteroid-insensitive 1 (BRI1)-associated receptor kinase 1-like gene. Plant Gene, 19:100188. (Q2, I.F 1.67).
- Clement, W. K. F., Noor Baity, S., Teh, C. Y., Ganesan, V. and Dzarifah, Z. (2019). Disease-controlling efficacy and microbial viability of dry and liquid formulations of biocontrol agents against Fusarium wilt of banana. Journal of Applied Microbiology (Q2, I.F 2.106).
- Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L., Lai, K. S & Maziah, M. (2019). Proteome of rice roots treated with exogenous proline. 3 Biotech, 9:101 (Q2, I.F 1.497).
- Teh, C. Y., Pang, C. L., Tor, X. Y., Ho, P.Y., Lim, Y.Y., Parameswari, N & Ho, C. L (2018) Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a necrosis and ethylene inducing protein (NEP) from Ganoderma boninense. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology, 106:42-48 (Q2, I.F 1.395).
- Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2018). Efficient In vitro multiple shoots regeneration system from rice shoot apex in recalcitrant Malaysian Indica rice cultivars (Oryza sativa L.) Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 17:504-513 (Q4, I.F: 0.386).
- Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2016). Exogenous application of glycine betaine alleviates salt induced damages more efficiently than ascorbic acid in in vitro rice shoots. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 1991-8178, 10: pp 58-65
- Teh, C. Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2016). Exogenous proline significantly affects the plant growth and nitrogen assimilation enzymes activities in rice (Oryza sativa) under salt stress. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 0137-5881, 38: pp 151 (Q2, IF 1.52)
- 12. Teh, C. Y., Maziah, M., Noor Azmi, S., & Ho, C. L. (2015). In vitro rice shoot apices as a simple model to study the effect of NaCl and the potential of exogenous proline and glutathione in mitigating salinity stress. Plant Growth Regulation, 0167-6903, 75: pp 771-781 (Q2, IF: 1.62)