Dr Teh Chui Yao
School of Biological Science
- BSc. (Hons)-Biochemistry, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- Ph.D-Plant Biotechnology, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
Teaching and research experience:
Teaching (2012 to present)
- UPM-coaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in their research projects (2012-2018)
- QIUP-lecturer (March 2019 to present)
Research (2012 to present)
- Micropropagation and genetic diversity of tissue cultured pineapple (2011-2012).
- Physiological and biochemical responses of selected Malaysian rice varieties treated with exogenous stress protectants under salt stress (2012-2016).
- Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of rice gene encoding putative Brassinosteroid- insensitive 1-associated kinase in relation to yield traits (2016-2019).
Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel necrosis and ethylene inducing protein from Ganoderma boninense, the causal agent of basal stem rot (BSR) disease in oil palm (2018-2020).
Major research interests
- Plant stress physiology (Plant stress responses and adaptation)
- Functional analysis of fungal pathogen recombinant protein
- Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in relation to desired agronomic traits in crops
- Formulation of bio-fertiliser from beneficial microbes against crop diseases.
- Development of elite plant tissue culture material for fruit crops, ornamentals and medicinal plants
- Biochemistry, Plant Biotechnology, Plant tissue culture, Proteomics, Molecular Biology
1. Teh, C. Y., Maziah, M., Noor Azmi, S., & Ho, C. L. (2015). In vitro rice shoot apices as simple model to study the effect of NaCl and the potential of exogenous proline and glutathione in mitigating salinity stress. Plant Growth Regulation, 0167-6903, 75 : pp 771-781 (Q2, IF: 1.62)
2. Teh, C. Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2016). Exogenous proline significantly affects the plant growth and nitrogen assmilation enzymes activities in rice (Oryza sativa) under salt stress. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 0137-5881, 38 : pp 151 (Q2, IF 1.52)
3. Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2016). Exogenous application of glycine betaine alleviates salt induced damages more efficiently than ascorbic acid in in vitro rice shoots. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 1991-8178, 10 : pp 58-65
4. Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L & Maziah, M. (2018). Efficient In vitro multiple shoots regeneration system from rice shoot apex in recalcitrant Malaysian Indica rice cultivars (Oryza sativa L.) Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 17:504-513 (Q4, I.F: 0.386).
5. Teh, C. Y., Pang, C. L., Tor, X. Y., Ho, P.Y., Lim, Y.Y., Parameswari, N & Ho, C. L (2019) Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a necrosis and ethylene inducing protein (NEP) from Ganoderma boninense. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology, 106:42-48 (Q2, I.F 1.395).
6. Teh, C.Y., Noor Azmi, S., Ho, C. L., Lai, K. S & Maziah, M. (2019). Proteome of rice roots treated with exogenous proline 3 Biotech, 9:101 (Q2, I.F 1.497).
Proceeding and abstract:
1. Teh, C. Y and Maziah, M (2013). Micropropagation and the optimization for the multiplication of tissue cultured pineapple plantlets. Transactions of the Malaysian Society of Plant Physiology Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia. 167-170.
2. Teh, C.Y., Maziah, M., Noor Azmi, S. and Ho, C.L. (2013). In vitro rice shoot apices as target explants to investigate the effects of osmoprotectants against salinity stress. Thai Society for biotechnology and International Conference Bangkok, Thailand 16-19th August 2013.
3. Teh, C.Y. and Maziah, M. (2013). Evaluation of the performance of P5CS (Delta 1-Pyrroline-5-Carboxylase Synthetase) transformed rice seeds under salinity stress.1st national LRGS (Long Term Research Grant Scheme) rice research colloquium, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 20-22th March 2013.
4. Teh, C.Y., Ho, C. L., Shaharuddin, N.A. and Maziah M. (2014). Recovery of in-vitro rice shoot apex under salinity stress by exogenous application of proline and glutathione. International Association of Plant Biotechnology Congress 2014, Melbourne, Australia 10-15th August 2014.
5. Teh, C.Y., Maziah, M., Noor Azmi, S. and Ho, C.L. (2014). Effect of exogenous proline on the nitrogen metabolism enzymes activity in rice under salinity stress. International Conference on Advances in Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2014, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 9-11th 2014.
6. Teh, C.Y., Ho, C. L., Shaharuddin, N.A. and Maziah M. (2015). Effect of exogenous proline on the changes of glutamine synthetase, glutamate synthase and glutamate dehydrogenase activities under salinity stress. Long-term Research Grant Scheme (LRGS) 2nd Rice Research Colloquium 2015, Universiti Putra Malaysia 22th April 2015.
7. Teh, C. Y., Mohd Rafii, Y., Mohamed, H. M., Parameswari, N. and Ho, C. L (2017). Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of (OsI-BAK1) in relation to yield traits. 3rd International Conference on Crop Improvement, University of Reading, Johor Bahru, Malaysia 8-10th November 2017.
8. Teh, C. Y., Mohd Rafii, Y., Mohamed, H. M., Parameswari, N. and Ho, C. L (2018). Identification of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in OsI-BAK1 gene and its promoter sequences in relation to yield traits in rice. 5th International Rice Congress, Expo and Sands Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore 15-17th October 2018.