Dr. Ranjetta Poobathy
School of Biological Science
- Ph.D. in Biotechnology (Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2017)
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology (Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2012)
- B. Sc. (Hons.) in Biotechnology (AIMST University, 2008)
Teaching and Research Experience:
- 2008 – present
- Tutored / mentored final year project and postgraduate students in Universiti Sains Malaysia (2008-2017)
- QIU: August 2018 – present
- Taught the following subjects to students undertaking B. Sc. (Hons.) In Biotechnology: BBT2105 Plant In Vitro Culture and Development; BBT2201 Plant Physiology; BBT2208 Plant Breeding; BBT3108 Scientific Writing; BBT3202 Postharvest Physiology, Storage and Biotechnology; BBT3207 Plant Pathology; MSC1101 and PSC1101 Research Methodology.
- Coordinator of BBT4401 Industrial Training for the B. Sc. (Hons.) in Biotechnology Programme.
- Coordinator of B. Sc. (Hons.) in Biotechnology Programme Alumni.
Current research projects
- Micropropagation of multiple crop species: working hand-in-hand with local agriculturists.
- Conservation of wild orchid species.
- Influence of medium composition and LEDs on the growth and development of wild orchid species.
Major Research Interest
- Technical questions: Micropropagation, plant tissue culture, cryopreservation, biodiversity conservation, plant secondary metabolism.
- Broader and systemic questions: preparation of high-quality propagules for agriculture and horticulture, clonal propagation of crops, short- and long-term maintenance of germplasm, conservation of rare/endangered species, production of compounds from cell cultures.
- Plant tissue culture
- Plant pathology
- Scientific writing
- Chairperson of the “Heart-to-Heart with Science” monthly seminar organised by the Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Member of Foundation Sub-Committee, QIU Online Teaching-Learning Committee.
- Biosafety Officer and member of the Institutional Biosafety Council of Quest International University Perak.
- Member of the Joint Committee on Issues Related to Animal Care, Use and Research Ethics.
- Secretary of the QIU Intervarsity Science Symposium (QISS) 2019 committee.
- Committee Member, QIU Sustainable AgriResearch.
Research ID and Selected Publications:
- Google Scholar ID: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2P00C54AAAAJ&hl=en
- Web of Science Researcher ID: https://app.webofknowledge.com/author/#/record/AAH-8924-2020
- ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0416-1122
- Scopus Author ID: 36342678900
- Mendeley: https://www.mendeley.com/profiles/ranjetta-poobathy/
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ranjetta_Poobathy
- Khor, S. P., Yeow, L. C., Poobathy, R., Zakaria, R., Chew, B. L., & Subramaniam, S. (2020). Droplet-vitrification of Aranda Broga Blue orchid: Role of ascorbic acid on the antioxidant system and genetic fidelity assessments via RAPD and SCoT markers. Biotechnology Reports, 26, 2020.e00448.
- Poobathy, R., Zakaria, R., Murugaiyah, V., & Subramaniam, S. (2019). Surface sterilization and micropropagation of Ludisia discolor. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 22, 101380.
- Poobathy, R., Zakaria, R., Murugaiyah, V., & Subramaniam, S. (2018). Autofluorescence study and selected cyanidin quantification in the Jewel orchids Anoectochilus sp. and Ludisia discolor. PLoS ONE, 13(4), e0195642.
- Khor, S. P., Poobathy, R., Zakaria, R., & Subramaniam, S. (2017). Development of a PVS2 droplet-vitrification cryopreservation technique for Aranda Broga Blue orchid protocorm-like bodies (PLBs). Cryoletters, 38(4), 290-298.
- Poobathy, R., Sinniah, U. R., Xavier, R., & Subramaniam, S. (2013). Catalase and Superoxide Dismutase Activities and the Total Protein Content of Protocorm-Like Bodies of Dendrobium sonia-28 Subjected to Vitrification. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 170(5), 1066-1079.
- Poobathy, R., Sinniah, U. R., Rathinam, X., & Subramaniam, S. (2013). Histology and scanning electron microscopy observations of cryopreserved protocorm-like bodies of Dendrobium sonia-28. Turkish Journal of Biology, 37(2), 191-198.
- Poobathy, R., Sinniah, U. R., Mahmood, M., & Subramaniam, S. (2013). Refinement of a vitrification protocol for protocorm-like bodies of Dendrobium sonia-28. Turkish Journal of Botany, 37(5), 940-949.
- Liu, W. Y. Y., & Poobathy, R. (2020). Biofertilizer Utilization in Forestry. In: Biofertilizers: Study and Impact, Wiley-Scrivener. Submitted for publication.
Khor, S.P., Subramaniam, S., & Poobathy, R. (2020). Orchid Conservation: Benefits of Cryopreservation in the Face of Epidemics and Pandemics. In: BIODIVERSITY FOR SUSTAINABILITY – Challenges and Perspectives in the Post-Pandemic Era, AIMST University. Submitted for publication.