Dr Rajiv a/l Ravi
School of Biological Sciences
- P.hD, Molecular Parasitology (USM)
- MSc, Applied Parasitology (USM)
- Bsc, Biotechnology (UNISEL)
- Postdoctoral (Medical Entomology), Universiti Malaysia Kelantan.
Teaching and research experience :
- KDU University-Lecturer
- QIUP-Lecturer, Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biotechnology and Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences (Hons) (January 2019 to present)
Taught the following subjects;
Teaching subjects: BBT 3212 Medical Entomology, BMS 3113 Medical Entomology, BBT 2204 Marine Biotechnology, BBT 2205 Human Physiology, BBT2202 Animal Physiology.
Ongoing Research Grant and Projects
- Ministry of Finance Social Economy Grant. Community Program: Super-food Spirulina (MOF Grant: RM284,000) (collaboration between UMK and UTM)
- Nano-Azo product commercialization (collaboration between UMK and USM)
- The Tridax Procumbens Plant application for gene expression studies in Tilapia fish (QUEST International University Internal Grant) CRI/QIU/FST/RR/2020
- Study on potential action mode of Clitoria Ternatea as bio-insecticide against Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus larvae. (QIU Internal project)
- Larvicidal activities of Areca catechu L. extracts against Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae). (QIU Internal project)
- Main Supervisor for 1-Master of Science Student. Tridax Procumbens plant application for gene expression studies in Tilapia fish.
- Co-Supervisor for 1- Master of Science Student. Application of Clinacanthus nutans plant for anticancer, antimicrobial, antioxidant activities. (Pharmacology)
- Gold at International Invention, Innovation, Technology Expo, ITEX 2019 (Invention & Innovation Category).
- Gold at Malaysian Technology Expo, MTE 2019 (IIA Category). 18th International Expo on Invention & Innovation.
- Silver at Malaysian Technology Expo, MTE 2020 (IIA Category) 19th International Expo on Invention & Innovation.
- International Award of Merit from Malaysia-Croatia Technology Exchange 2020.
- CRI-UMK Competition 2019 Gold Medal: Azocides Mosquitoes Bio-spray
- CRI-UMK Competition 2019 Silver Medal: Nano-Azocides, Slow release Azolla pinnata Silver NanoParticle Bioinsecticidal
Malaysian Newspaper Highlights:
Berita Harian (BH), Khamis, 2 Mei 2019,BIL 482. Varsiti Berita, Innovasi. Kelebihan Nano Azo’s; https://www.klik.com.my/item/story/14580768/kelebihan-nano-azo-s
Malaysian Technology Expo, 19th International, Expo on Invention & Innovation,2020 (Invention and Innovation Award Category)
- Entomological society of Malaysia (EOM:042)
- Malaysian society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (No:701)
Iii. Malaysian Board of Technologist (MBOT), Graduate Technologist- Biotechnology (BT)- GT20080933
Research Grants Pending Approval
- Project Leader FRGS 2020 (QIUP)- Areca catechu L. extracts against Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae).
- Project Member FRGS 2020 (USM)- Diversity, prevalence and host specificity of fish monogenean parasites infecting fresh water fish population in lakes and dams of Peninsular Malaysia.
- Project Member FRGS 2020 (USM)- Aedes, why are they winning? A transcriptomic approach in understanding insecticide resistance mechanisms.
- Project Member FRGS 2020 (QIUP)- Evaluation of novel coumarinyl chalcone derived schiff bases as potential multitarget drugs for treatment of breast cancer.
Project Member FRGS 2020 (QIUP)-No more synthetic antibiotics for Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) farming. Fundamentals of Tridax procumbens plant on the growth, antimicrobial, haematological and histopathological parameters.
Major research interests :
- Aquaculture Disease
Teaching interests :
- Medical Entomology, Marine Biotechnology, Human Physiology, Animal Physiology
- Project coordinator for QIU Research Competitions (2019 to present)
- Scientific committee of QIU Intervarsity Science Symposium (QISS 2019)
- Project coordinator for QIU Aquaculture Biotechnology Garden (2019 to present)
Google Scholar: profile:https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2DH3XyQAAAAJ&hl=en
List of publications
- Darvin R. Ravindran, Madhuri Bharathithasan, Patmani Ramaiah, Mohd Sukhairi Mat Rasat, Dinesh Rajendran, Shakila Srikumar, Intan H. Ishak, Abd Rahman Said, Rajiv Ravi, Mohamad Faiz Mohd Amin, “Chemical Composition and Larvicidal Activity of Flower Extracts from Clitoria ternatea against Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae)”, Journal of Chemistry, vol. 2020, Article ID 3837207, 9 pages, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/3837207
- R. Ravi, I. H. Ishak, M. F. Mohd Amin, M. S. M. Rasat, M. A. Salam, and M. A. Mohd Amin, “Nano-synthesized silver particles and Azolla Pinnata extract Larvicidal effects against Aedes aegypti (diptera: culicidae),” International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 3420–3427, (2020).
- Ravi, R., Zulkrnin, N. S. H., Rozhan, N. N., Yusoff, N. R. N., Rasat, M. S. M., Ahmad, M. I.,… & Amin, M. F. M. (2018). Chemical composition and larvicidal activities of Azolla pinnata extracts against Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae). PLOS ONE, 13(11), e0206982.
- Rajiv Ravi, Nor Shaida Husna Zulkrnin, Nurul Nadiah Rozhan, et al., “Evaluation of Two Different Solvents for Azolla pinnata Extracts on Chemical Compositions and Larvicidal Activity against Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae),” Journal of Chemistry, vol. (2018), Article ID 7453816, 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7453816.
- Larvicidal effectiveness of Azolla pinnata fresh plant and powdered form against Aedes aegypti (Diptera:Culicidae) with its effects on morphology and visualization of behavioural responses. Journal of Parasitology Research, vol. 2018, Article ID 1383186, 5 pages, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1383186.
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. Zeylanicobdella arugamensis, the marine leech from cultured crimson snapper (Lutjanus erythropterus), Jerejak Island, Penang, Malaysia. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apjtb.2017.01.018.
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. Neobenedenia melleni Parasite of Red Snapper, Lutjanus erythropterus, with Regression Statistical Analysis between Fish Length, Temperature, and Parasitic Intensity in Infected Fish, Cultured at Jerejak Island, Penang, Malaysia. Journal of Parasitology Research (2016).; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/1946283.
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. Relationship between size of fish, temperature and parasitic intensity in Snakehead fish species from Kepala Batas, Penang, Peninsular Malaysia. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science, (2015): 2, 295-307
- Tropical Biomedicine. (Scopus)(2020). Manuscript title:M/S 1619/22 Evaluation of selected plant extracts for in vitro anti-marine leech (Zeylanicobdella arugamensis) activity.
- Aquaculture Reports. (ISI Q1)(2020). Manuscript title: Skin Infection of Greater Amberjack (Seriola dumerili) by monogenean ectoparasite Neobenedenia girellae: a morphological and descriptive study.
- Appointment as Journal Reviewer for Malaysian Journal of Microbiology (MJM)ISSN (print): 1823 8262/ ISSN (online): 2231 7538.Chief Editor for this Journal- Prof Dr K Sudesh Kumar (USM)
- Malaysian Journal of Microbiology(Scopus)(2020).Encapsulation Of Metarhizium Anisopliae Lethal Time Of Larvae Crocidolomia Pavonana.
- Malaysian Journal of Microbiology(Scopus)(2020) “Bioaugmentation of Bacillus subtilis for the Degradation of Monocrotophos in Agricultural Soil”.
- Malaysian Journal of Microbiology(Scopus)(2020) “Bacillus thuringiensis with High Toxicity Against Oryctes rhinoceros Beetle Larvae “
- Aquaculture Research. (ISI Q1)(2019). Manuscript title: Antiparasitic Activity of the Medicinal Plant Dillenia suffruticosa Against the Marine Leech Zeylanicobdella arugamensis (Hirudinea) and its Phytochemical Composition.
- UiTM (International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research (InCoMR) (2019). Insect Communities Associated with Decomposition of Chicken (Gallus gallus) and Fish (Oreochromis niloticus) Carrion in Hutan Sri Gading, UiTM Pahang
- QIU International Symposium(QISS) (2019) Larvicidal activity of Ethanolic extraction of Carica Papaya seeds against Aedes albopictus larvae.
- QIU International Symposium.(QISS) (2019) The potency of Arthrospira platensis towards muscle reinnervation after sciatic nerve crush injury of rats
- Best Oral Presentation Award:Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. (2016). Prevalence of ectoparasite from Cultured Crimson Red Snapper (Lutjanus eryhtopterus) in Jerejak Island, Penang Peninsular Malaysia. The 10th Regional IMT-GT UNINET Conference, Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. (2015). The potential of Seaweed Plant as Fish diets in expression profile of NCCRP-1 Gene on crimson red snapper (Lutjanus eryhtopterus), in Jerejak Island, Malaysia. The International Fisheries symposium Conference.
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. (2014). DNA Barcoding of Marine Leeches (Zeylanicobdella argumensis) from crimson red snapper (Lutjanus eryhtopterus), Peninsular Malaysia and their phylogenetic analysis. The 9th Regional IMT-GT UNINET Conference.
- Ravi R, Yahaya ZS. (2013). Presentation of Research Paper on DNA Barcoding of family Serranidae in Malaysian waters. Fifth International Barcode of Life Conference Kunming, China
- Beijing Genomic Institute, BGI International seminar for Bioinformatics, September 19th 2013 held in University of Malaya
- Scientific Writing for Publication seminar, 29th November 2013 held in University Science Malaysia
- Occupational Safety and Health Course seminar, 4th December 2013 held in University Science Malaysia
- 2nd Seminar on the Use of Animal in Science; ethical and practical considerations 23-24th June 2010, held in University Science Malaysia
Eppendorf Pipetting Clinic, 6th May 2010 held in University Science Malaysia