Dr. Paulin Wong Poh Lin
Lecturer & Programme Coordinator for Foundation in Business,
School of Business and Management
- Ph.D in Tourism (2018), Faculty of Business, Economics and Accountancy, Universiti Malaysia Sabah (Direct entry), “Sense of Place of Host Community in Tourism Development: The Case of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Sabah”
- Bachelor of Business in Tourism Management (First Class Honours)(2012), Book Prize Winner, Faculty of Business, Economics and Accountancy, Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Sense of Place
- Place Attachment
- Destination Host Community
- Tourism Sustainability
- Marine Tourism
- Destination/Parks Planning
- Tourism Psychology
- Qualitative Methods
- Special Interest Tourism
- Tourist Behaviour
- Tourism Planning
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism Research
- Sustainable Tourism
- 2013 – 2018 Tutor, Faculty of Business, Economics and Accountancy, UMS – Subjects taught: Macroeconomics, Principles of Tourism, Tourist Behaviour, Special Interest Tourism, e-Tourism
- 2015 Tutor, UMS Centre for External Education – Subject taught: Management and Organisational Behaviour (MBA Programme)
- 2009 Substitute teacher, S.K. Datuk Akhir Zaman (Primary school) and S.M.K. Seri Ampangan (Secondary school)
- 2014 – 2016 Research Assistant, Faculty of Business, Economics and Accountancy, UMS – UMS Research Grant Scheme
- 2015 Enumerator, Faculty of Business, Economics and Accountancy, UMS – Ministry of Higher Education Fundamental Research Grant Scheme
- 2013 Research Assistant, School of Engineering and Information Technology, UMS – Malaysian Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) Research Grant
Certified Mystery Shopper
– International Service Check and GAPbuster Worldwide Malaysia Sdn. Bhd
Event Manager & Roadshow Supervisor
– Rock Maestro Evening & Marketing
– Shangri-la Tanjung Aru Resort, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, Palace of the Golden Horses, Kenny Rogers Roasters.
– Genting, Resorts World Berhad
– Kampachi by Equatorial, mentored by the Managing Director.
– Klana Resort Seremban
- Emcee and committee member, Opening of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Association International Training Centre (Sabah), Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Emcee, Visit Japan Travel Trade Meet 2012, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
- Director, UMS Tourism Management Programme Community Day Camp 2012, Kota Marudu, Sabah, Malaysia.
- Wong, P.P.L. & Kler, B.K. (2016) Photo-elicitation using Q-method in Focus Groups: An Innovative Method in Recognising Sense of Place for a Marine Park in Borneo, Malaysia. In Proceedings of HONG KONG 2016: 2nd Global Tourism & Hospitality Conference and 15th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students Research in Tourism. Vol.2 (pp.131-146). 16 – 18 May 2016. School of Hotel & Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China. ISBN: 9789 628505968 (Best Paper Award)
- Wong, P.P.L., Wong, M.F.H, Clare, P., Hamzah, H., Song, Z.,Mat Salleh S., Lee, A.C.H., Pengiran Bagul A. H. B. (2013) On-Line 2013: Challenges and Opportunities of Increasing Global Customer Service for National Airlines in The BIMP-EAGA Region. In Proceedings of The International Conference on Tourism, Transport and Logistics Conectivity.14th-16th February 2013, Paris, France.
- Kler, B.K, Ismail, M. & Wong, P.P.L. (2016) The Six Facets of Place Attachment for Visitors to Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Malaysia. In Proceedings of HONG KONG 2016: 2nd Global Tourism & Hospitality Conference and 15th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students Research in Tourism. Vol.1 (pp.689-690). 16 – 18 May 2016. School of Hotel & Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China. ISBN: 9789628505951
- Wong, P.P.L. (2015) Understanding HOST-Guest Sense of Place in Sustainable Marine Tourism Development at Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Malaysia. In B.K. Kler (Chair), The Future of Tourism in ASEAN: More Blessing Than Blight? Panel Session, 4th Annual Southeast Asian Studies Symposium. The Year of ASEAN. 20-24th March 2015, Sunway University, Malaysia. Organised by Oxford University and Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia.
- Kler, B.K. & Wong, P.P.L. (2014) Nurturing Place: Reconnecting With Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, Malaysian Borneo. Paper presented at Institute of Australian Geographers/New Zealand Geographical Society (IAG/NZGS) Joint Conference. Tourism Geographies Session. 30th June – 2nd July 2014. University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
- Wong, P.P.L. & Kler, B.K. (2013) Understanding Sense of Place in Tourism Development: The Case of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Sabah. In: Engaging Communities in Sustainable Tourism Development. Business Enterprises for Sustainable Travel Education Network Think Tank XII Conference Proceedings. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 23–26 June, 2013.
- Gold Medal Award: Wong, P.P.L. & Kler, B.K. (2016) The Novelty and Benefit of Combining VEP, Q-Method and Focus Groups to Recognise Sense of Place for Tourism Destinations. UMS Research and Innovation Competition (PEREKA) 2016, 27th – 28th September 2016, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.