Dr. Paran Gani
School of Biological Sciences
- PhD Civil Engineering (Environmental) – 2017
- MEng (Civil) – 2014
- BEng (Hons) Civil – 2012
- Dip. Civil – 2007
Teaching and Research Experience:
- Lecturer (Environmental Tech.), QIU (August 2018-Present)
- Lab demonstrator, UTHM (March 2017-May 2017)
- Production of High-grade Hydrocarbon from Microalgae after Phycoremediation of Wastewaters (2014-2017).
- The Characterisation of Indoor Fungal Contamination at Malaysian Buildings Based on High Humidity in Tropical Climate by Using Molecular Techniques (2016-2017).
Major Research Interests
- Microalgae biotechnology
- Water/wastewater treatment
- Environmental sustainable development
- Civil engineering
- Water Pollution and Treatment Technologies.
- Climate Change: Impacts, Adaptation and Mitigation.
- Renewable Energy Technology.
- Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Sustainable Eco-Friendly Plastic Sand Bricks (Internal Grant), Role: Project Leader
- Enhanced phyto-evaluation of Vetiver grass (Vetiveria zizanioides (Linn.) Nash in highly contaminated As-Cr metals soil conditions in Malaysia (FRGS), Role: Project Member
Independent reviewer for international journal as follows:
- Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Elsevier.
- Journal of Water Process Engineering, Elsevier.
- Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Springer.
- African Journal of Biotechnology, Academic Journals.
- 3 Biotech, Springer
- International Journal of Phytoremediation, Taylor & Francis
Current professional membership as follows:
- Graduate Engineer (85850A), Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), 2013.
- Graduate Engineer (56198), Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM), 2013.
- Membership (214759), International Association of Engineers (IAENG), 2018.
- Membership (1904002), International Association of Educators and Researchers (IAER), 2019
- Ajayan, K. V., Harilal, C. C., & Gani, P. (2019). Performance of reflector coated LED Bio-box on the augmentation of growth and lipid production in aerophytic trebouxiophyceaen algae Coccomyxa sp. Algal research, 38, 101401.
- Sunar, N. M., Abdullah, N. F. N., Gani, P. A., Peralta, H. M. M., & Khalid, A. (2019). Potential of Biofuel from Extraction of Microalgae Biomass via Domestic Wastewater Phycoremediation. Fuel, Mixture Formation and Combustion Process, 1(1).
- Hubadillah, S. K., Othman, M. H. D., Gani, P., Ismail, A. F., Rahman, M. A., & Jaafar, J. (2018, May). A green membrane distillation system for seawater desalination: Response surface modelling and optimization. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 361, No. 1, p. 012011). IOP Publishing.
- Apandi, N., Mohamed, R. M. S. R., Al-Gheethi, A., Latiffi, A., Arifin, S. N. H., & Gani, P. (2018, April). Phycoremediation of heavy metals in wet market wastewater. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 140, No. 1, p. 012017). IOP Publishing.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, RMSR Mohamed, AAA Latiff, UK Parjo: Extraction of hydrocarbons from freshwater green microalgae (Botryococcus sp.) biomass after phycoremediation of domestic wastewater. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 2017 19(7) 679-685.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff: Effect of pH and Alum Dosage on the Efficiency of Microalgae Harvesting via Flocculation Technique. International Journal of Green Energy. 2017 14(4) 395-399.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, SS Jamaian, AAA Latiff: Effects of different culture conditions on the phycoremediation efficiency of domestic wastewater. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2016 4(4A) 4744-4753.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, Ab AAA Latiff, SFZ Fuzi: Growth of Microalgae Botryococcus sp. in Domestic Wastewater and Application of Statistical Analysis for the Optimisation of Flocculation Using Alum and Chitosan. Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology. 2017 47(4) 333-341.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, ARA Razak: Influence of Initial Cell Concentrations on the Growth Rate and Biomass Productivity of Microalgae in Domestic Wastewater. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research. 2016 14(2) 399-409.
- N Apandi, RMSR Mohamed, A Al-Gheethi, P Gani, A Ibrahim, AHM Kassim: Scenedesmus Biomass Productivity and Nutrient Removal from Wet Market Wastewater, A Bio-kinetic Study. Waste and Biomass Valorization. 2018 (May 2018) 1-18.
- SK Hubadillah, Z Harun, MHD Othman, AF Ismail, WNW Salleh, H Basri, MZ Yunos, P Gani. Preparation and characterization of low cost porous ceramic membrane support from kaolin using phase inversion/sintering technique for gas separation: Effect of kaolin content and non-solvent coagulant bath. Chemical Engineering Research and Design. 2016 112(Aug) 24-35.
- SK Hubadillah, Z Harun, MHD Othman, AF Ismail, P Gani. Effect of kaolin particle size and loading on the characteristics of kaolin ceramic support prepared via phase inversion technique. Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies. 2016 4(2) 164-177.
- SK Hubadillah, Z Harun, MHD Othman, AF Ismail, Y Iwamoto, Ma Rahman, J Jaafar, P Gani, MN Mohd Sokri. Effect of fabrication parameters on physical properties of metakaolin-based ceramic hollow fibre membrane (CHFM). Ceramics International. 2016 42(14) 15547-15558.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, UK Parjo, Z Embong, A Khalid, SAA Tajudin: The potential of biodiesel production from Botryococcus sp. biomass after phycoremediation of domestic and industrial wastewater. IOP Conference Series Materials Science and Engineering. 2016 160:012048.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff: Application of Phycoremediation Technology in the Treatment of Food Processing Wastewater by Freshwater Microalgae Botryococcus sp. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016 11(11) 7288-7292.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, UK Parjo and AA Oyekanmi: Green approach in the Bio-removal of heavy metals from wastewaters. MATEC Web of Conferences. 2017 103:06007.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, HM Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, NS Kamaludin, UK Parjo, Q Emparan, CM Er: Experimental Study for Phycoremediation of Botryococcus sp. on Greywater. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015773-774:1312-1317.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, HM Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, ITK Joo, UK Parjo, Q Emparan, CM Er: Phycoremediation of Dairy Wastewater by Using Green Microlgae: Botryococcus Sp.. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015773-774:1318-1323.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff: Screening of Sustainable Hydrocarbon Extracted from Microalgae via Phycoremediation. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 201611(12) 7431-7436.
- P Gani, NM Sunar, H Matias-Peralta, AAA Latiff, UK Parjo, ARA Razak: Phycoremediation of Wastewaters and Potential Hydrocarbon from Microalgae: A Review. Advances in Environmental Biology. 20159(20) 1-8.
- ARA Razak, NM Sunar, NA Alias, P Gani, M Subramaniam: Physiochemicals and Heavy Metal Removal from Domestic Wastewater via Phycoremediation. MATEC Web of Conferences. 2016 47.
- SS Jamaian, NM Bakeri, NM Sunar, P Gani: A Verhulst model for microalgae Botryococcus sp. growth and nutrient removal in wastewater. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 24TH NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES: Mathematical Sciences Exploration for the Universal Preservation; 08/2017, DOI:10.1063/1.4995886.
- N Apandi, RMSR Mohamed, A Al-Gheethi, H Ariffin, P Gani. Phycoremediation of Heavy Metals in Wet Market Wastewater. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 140(11) 010217.