Ts. Dr. Magaret Sivapragasam
Lecturer & Head of Programme,
Foundation in Science
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS)
- PhD, Bioprocess Engineering (Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- BSc (Hons) Biotechnology (Asian Institute of Medicine, Science and Technology, AIMST)
Teaching and research experience:
Major Research Interest
- Biosurfactants, Ionic Liquids, Recombinant protein, Downstream processing, Environmental Science
- Affiliate Member, YSN-ASM, Akademi Sains Malaysia
- Featured as 100 Scientist of Malaysia
- Featured as Kotex 100 Amazing Superwomen of Malaysia
- Professional Technologist, MBOT
- Award winner of the Periodic Table of Younger Chemistry, Element: Ytterbium, IUPAC 100.
- Featured in “Science and She” as a Malaysian representative by International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Application (ISAAA) and its network of Biotechnology Information Centres worldwide
- ‘In her element”, The Star, Education, March 10th 2019.
- “Scientists can wear makeup”, New Straits Times, April 10th 2019.
- Graduate Technologist, Malaysian Board of Technologist, GT 18020520
- Member, American Chemistry Society (ACS) Membership ID:31348110
- Affiliate member, Royal Society of Chemistry, (RSC) Membership ID: 670022
- Co-advisor American Chemistry Society (ACS) UTP Student Chapter
- Toastmasters International Club 05585415 (Treasurer), PETRONAS University of Technology
- Malaysian Ionic Liquids Research Society, Member, 2018/007
- Malaysian Nature Society, Member O/E/33195/B
- Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (MSBMB) Status: Member (Membership no: OM2014-002)
- Malaysian Society for Engineering and Technology (MSET) Status: Member (Membership no: S08039)
- Sivapragasam, Magaret, and Cecilia Devi Wilfred. “Biological Applications of Ionic Liquids-Based Surfactants: A Review of the Current Scenario.” Nanotechnology-Based Industrial Applications of Ionic Liquids (2020): 137-152.
- Sivapragasam, Magaret, Muhammad Moniruzzaman, and Masahiro Goto. “An overview on the toxicological properties of ionic liquids toward microorganisms.” Biotechnology Journal 15.4 (2020): 1900073.
- Sivapragasam, Magaret, Muhammad Moniruzzaman, and Masahiro Goto. “Outside Front Cover: Biotechnology Journal 4/2020.” Biotechnology Journal 15.4 (2020): 2070041.
- Sivapragasam, M., Jaganathan J.R., Leveque, J.M., Moniruzzaman M., M.I Abdul Mutalib (2019). Microbial Biocompatibility of Phosphonium- and Ammonium- based Ionic Liquids; Journal of Molecular Liquids 273, 107-115.
- Sivapragasam M., Wilfred C.D.W., Jaganathan J. R., Krishnan S., Karim W.A.W. (2019). Choline based Ionic Liquids as Media for the growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Processes 7(7), 471.
- Jaganathan, J.R., Sivapragasam, M., Matheswaran P., L.K. Chellapan., Wilfred Cecilia Devi, M.I Abdul Mutalib (2019). Dual Functionalized Ionic Liquids as a green solvent for extractive desulfurization of fuel oil: Toxicology and Mechanistic Studies; Journal of Cleaner Production 213, 989-998.
- Shah, M. U. H., Moniruzzaman, M., Sivapragasam, M., Talukder, M. M. R., Yusup, S. B. (2019). Investigation of choline based Ionic Liquids as an Oil Spill Dispersant; Material Science and Engineering 458 (1) 012029.
- Shah, M. U. H., Moniruzzaman, M., Sivapragasam, M., Talukder, M. M. R., Yusup, S. B., & Goto, M. (2019). A binary mixture of a biosurfactant and an ionic liquid surfactant as a green dispersant for oil spill remediation. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 280, 111-119.
- Shah, M. U. H., Sivapragasam, M., Moniruzzaman, M., Talukder, M. M. R., Yusup, S. B., & Goto, M, (2018). Aggregation behavior and antimicrobial activity of a micellar system of binary ionic liquids; Journal of Molecular Liquids. 266, 568-576.
- Shah, M. U. H., Sivapragasam, M., Moniruzzaman, M., Talukder, M. M. R., Yusup, S. B., (2018). Dispersion of crude oil by choline based Ionic Liquids; Materials Today, Volume 5, Issue 2, Part 10.
- Kandasamy, S., Moniruzzaman, M., Sivapragasam, M., Shamsuddin, M. R., & Mutalib, M. I. A. (2017). Formulation and characterization of acetate based ionic liquid in oil microemulsion as a carrier for acyclovir and methotrexate. Separation and Purification Technology 196, 146-156.
- Shah, Mansoor Ul Hassan, Magaret Sivapragasam, Muhammad Moniruzzaman, Md Mahabubur Rahman Talukder, Suzana Bt Yusup, and Masahiro Goto. “Production of sophorolipids by Starmerella bombicola yeast using new hydrophobic substrates.” Biochemical Engineering Journal 127 (2017): 60-67.
- Raj, J. J., Magaret, S., Pranesh, M., Lethesh, K. C., Devi, W. C., & Mutalib, M. A. (2017). Extractive desulfurization of model fuel oil using ester functionalized imidazolium ionic liquids. Separation and Purification Technology 196, 115-123.
- Lotfi, Meysam, Muhammad Moniruzzaman, Magaret Sivapragasam, Shalini Kandasamy, MI Abdul Mutalib, Noorjahan Banu Alitheen, and Masahiro Goto. “Solubility of acyclovir in nontoxic and biodegradable ionic liquids: COSMO-RS prediction and experimental verification.” Journal of Molecular Liquids 243 (2017): 124-131.
- Rajabi, M. S., Moniruzzaman, M., Mahmood, H., Sivapragasam, M., &Bustam, M. A. (2017). Extraction of β carotene fromorganic phase using ammonium based ionic liquids. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 227, 15- 20.
- Jaganathan, J. R., Sivapragasam, M., & Wilfred, C. D. (2016). Thermal Characteristics of 1-Butyl-3- Methylimimidazolium Based Oxidant Ionic Liquids. J Chem Eng Process Technol, 7, 309.
- Sivapragasam, M., Moniruzzaman, M., & Goto, M. (2016). Recent advances in exploiting ionic liquids for biomolecules: Solubility, stability and applications. Biotechnology Journal, 11(8), 1000-1013.
- Yazdani, A., Sivapragasam, M., Levêque, J. M., & Moniruzzaman, M. (2016). Microbial Biocompatibility and Biodegradability ofCholine-Amino Acid Based Ionic Liquids. J Microb Biochem Technol, 8, 415-421.
- Baharuddin, S. H., Mustahil, N. A., Abdullah, A. A., Sivapragasam, M., & Moniruzzaman, M. (2016). Ecotoxicity Study of AminoAcid Ionic Liquids Towards Danio Rerio Fish: Effect of Cations. Procedia Engineering, 148, 401-408.
- Losetty, Venkatramana, M. Sivapragasam, and C. D. A. P. Wilfred. “Recent Advances and Thermophysical Properties of Acetate- based Protic Ionic Liquids. Chemical Science Journal 7 (2016): 128.
- Shah, M. U. H., Sivapragasam, M., Moniruzzaman, M., & Yusup, S. B. (2016). A comparison of recovery methods of rhamnolipids produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Procedia Engineering, 148, 494- 500.
- Jaganathan, J., Sivapragasam, M. & Wildred, C.D. (2016) “Thermal characteristics of 1 butyl-3 methylimidazolium based oxidant ionic liquids”, Journal of Chemical Engineering and Process Technology, 7: 4;1-6
- Sivapragasam, M., & Abdullah, N. (2015). Recovery of cyclodextrin glucanotransferase (CGTase) using immobilized metal chelating affinity chromatography. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 32(1), 43- 52.
- Sivapragasam, M. and Abdullah, N. (2014) “Purification of Glutahione S-Transferase using mixed mode chromatography”, February, vol. 3 issue 2, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology.
- “Investigation on Autoclaving/Acid Pretreatment of Rice Straw and its Enzymatic Hydrolysis, Proceeding in 19th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar (UTAR, 2008)
- “Cell disruption strategies for the release of intracellular Glutathione S-Transferase (GST) from E.coli homogenate” – Proceeding in National Symposium of Fermentation Technology 2009, UniKL, (MiCET), Melaka
- Magaret Sivapragasam, Making Science heard via modern technology, December 24th 2018, The Petri Dish, (Online version: http://thepetridish.my/2018/12/24/making-science-heard-via-modern-technology/)
- Magaret Sivapragasam, Felicia Lim, Mindy Pozenel (2019) CAS Future Leaders: Driving Scientific Community Across Malaysia, Chemical Abstract Services (CAS) A Division of American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Magaret Sivapragasam, Mansoure Sadat Rajabi, Muhammad Moniruzzaman, Mohamad Azmi Bustam, Screening of Potential Ionic Liquids for the Extraction of β-carotene from Aqueous Solution via COSMO RS, Conventional Ionic Liquids-Innovative Applications, 2018, UTP Press.
- Magaret Sivapragasam, Joshua Raj Jaganathan, Sooridarsan Krishnan, Cecilia Devi Wilfred, Muhammad Moniruzzaman., Choline Based Ionic Liquids as Media for Growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae “Recent Advances in Ionic Liquids”, ISBN 978-953-51-6705-1; InTech Open
- Magaret Sivapragasam, The global benefits of open research (2018); MDPI-Benefits of Open Access Research: The 2018 MDPI Writing Prize (ISSN 2624-8115)
- Magaret Sivapragasam, Exploring the Impact of Leadership Skills on Research, ACS AXIAL, November Issue, 2017
Google Scholar profile:
Ionic Liquids formulation as an environmentally friendly oil dispersant. PI (2018001613)