Dr. Kamariah Hasan
School of Biological Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy (Molecular Biology), School of Biological Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia. (June 2008 to October 2013).
- Master of Science (Biotechnology), School of Biological Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia (July 2002 to December 2007).
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Biotechnology) Honours (November 1998 to March 2002).
Teaching and Research Experience:
- OUM Demonstrator (2004 – 2005)
- Graduate assistant (2005 – 2008)
- Scientific Officer (2011 – 2013)
- Malaysia Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (MSBMB) (since 2014)
- Malaysian Society for Microbiology (since 2014)
- Persatuan Genetik Malaysia (PGM) (Since 2017)
Major Research Interest
- Elucidation of PHA biosynthesis regulatory elements from PHA producers.
- Studies on genes involved in biofilm formation from bacteria isolated from used contact lens solution.
- Isolation and characterization of plastic degrading bacteria from landfill area.
- Isolation of nitrogen fixing bacteria from termite gut.
- Transcriptomic data analysis of Antarctic psychrophilic yeast, Glaciozyma Antarctica PI12″
- Programme coordinator for Master of Science and PhD in Science (2015 – 2016)
- Member of QIU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- Course coordinator (Genetics, Microbiology, Recombinant DNA & Genetic modification, Advanced Molecular Biology)
- Course coordinator BBT4301 Research project
- Advisor for Biotech Club (July 2016 until present)
- Secretary and Organizing Committee for Perak Science Quiz Challenge (PSQC 2014).
- Elucidation of PHA biosynthesis regulatory elements in Pseudomonas sp.
- Isolation and molecular identification of plastic degrading bacteria from landfill area.
- Identification of genes from bacteria involved in PE degradation.
- Isolation and molecular identification of nitrogen fixing bacteria from termites gut.
- Isolation and molecular identification of bacteria from contact lens and solution.
- Isolation and molecular identification of antibiotic resistant bacteria from chicken.
- FRGS grant – Co-researcher titled ‘Influence of glycerine pitch on the mechanism of regulation of 4HB monomer compositions in the poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-4-hydroxybutyrate) biosynthesis’ (2014 -2017)
- Kamariah H., Nursyafiqi Z., Nazalan N. (2013). Effect of nutrient and temperature stresses on heat shock proteins expression: Transcriptomic data analysis of Antarctic psychrophilic yeast, Glaciozyma Antarctica PI12″. 6th Malaysian International Seminar on Antarctica 2013 (MISA6).
- Ghanim M.H., Kamariah H., Najimudin N., Abdullah M. Z. (2012). Design of DNA biosensors and amperometric microchips featuring copper electrodes. Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI), 2012 IEEE-EMBS International Conference.
- Kamariah, H., Najimudin, N., Samian, M. R. and S. Kumar. (2009). Characterization of phaC1 and phaC2 mutants from Pseudomonas USM4-55. Proceedings in 2nd International Conference on Bio-based Polymers (ICBP 2009). 11-13 Nov 2009. Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Najimudin, N., Kamariah, H., Samian, M. R., Mohamad, S., S., Kumar. (2008). Elucidation of the roles of PhaC1 and PhaC2 enzymes in Pseudomonas USM4-55. Proceeding in International Symposium on Biological Polyesters (ISBP 2008). 23-26 November 2008. SkyCity, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Kamariah, H., Samian, M. R., Najimudin, N. (2006). Regulation studies of phaC1 and phaC2 genes in Pseudomonas sp. USM4-55. Proceedings in Trends In Biotechnology 3. 4th – 6th September 2006. Marriot Putrajaya