Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ng Miew Luan
Head of School,
School of Communication
- PhD (Communication) (USM)
- Master of Communication (USM)
- Bachelor of Communication (Hons) (USM)
- Political Communication
- Media Education
- Media Representation
- Minority Ethnic Press
- Media Ethics
- Social Media and Communication
- Media and Human Rights
- Media and Nation-building
- Social media and Fake News
- Communication Theory and Research, Journalism related subjects, Media laws and ethics, Data Journalism.
AUGUST 2018- JUNE 2020, Associate Staff, University of Central Lancashire, United Kingdom.
SEPTEMBER 2014- JUNE 2020
Subject Specialist Online Teaching, PACE SEGi University, Kota Damansara,
Petaling Jaya. Involved in courses development and teaching.
MAY 2013- JUNE 2020
Senior Lecturer (cum Program Coordinator in 2013-2014), School of Communication Studies, SEGi University, Kota Damansara, Petaling Jaya.
DECEMBER 2009- APRIL 2013
Senior Lecturer, Mass CommunicationDepartment, School of Arts and Social Sciences, KDU College, Penang.
DECEMBER 2009- DECEMBER 2012
Tutor, School of Communication, Universiti Sains Malaysia. Bachelor of
Communication (Persuasive Communication (Hons))
FEBRUARY 2012-APRIL 2013
Tutor, Northumbria University, United Kingdom. (B.Sc. Hons. Communication and Public Relation).
NOVEMBER 1999- DECEMBER 2000
Lecturer, School of Mass Communication, Han Chiang College, Penang. Also as an advisor of Laboratory Newspaper “Han Chiang Life”.
JANUARY 2001- MAY 2006
Part-Time Lecturer, School of Mass Communication, Han Chiang College, Penang. (News Translation and Electronic Newsletter).
- Project Leader for “Perceived Effects on Online Interethnic Interaction on Interethnic Bridging Social Capital among Academic Staff in Malaysia Private Universities” (October 2018- September 2019), SEGi University Internal Research Fund.
Grant Amount: RM6000.00
- Project Leader for “The Chinese Language Newspaper and Nation-building in Malaysia: A Study of Sin Chew Daily (1 July 2014 – 30 June 2015), SEGi University Internal Research Fund.
Grant Amount: RM5000.00
- Research Member for “Journalism Education in Private Higher Learning Institutions in Malaysia: A perspective on what Undergraduates Want” (1 September 2014 – 29 February 2016), SEGi University Internal Research Fund.
Grant Amount: RM10,000.00
Fake News during the Crisis of COVID-19 Pandemic in Malaysia
Perceived Effects on Online Interethnic Interaction on Interethnic Bridging Social Capital among Academic Staff in Malaysia Private Universities
Journalism Education in Private Higher
Learning Institutions in Malaysia: A perspective on what Undergraduates Want.
The Chinese Language Newspaper and Nation- building in Malaysia: A Study of Sin Chew Daily.
Minority Ethnic Press in Multiethnic Nation in Transition: A Study of Sin Chew Daily 2012-2013 (PhD)
“Watching the Watchdog: Media Monitoring the 13th Malaysian General Election” by the Centre for Independent Journalist Malaysia and the Centre for the Study of Communication and Culture, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus.
Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC) project commissioned by UNESCO: “Status and Relevance of Journalism Education in the Asia-Pacific: A Malaysia study”.
Ng Miew Luan & Gerald Goh Guan Gan. (Eds.). (2007). Journal of Han Chiang College, Volume 4, 2007. Penang: Han Chiang College.
Abstract Reviewer, The Asian Conference on Media, Communication & Film (MediAsia2019)
- MAY 2013- APRIL 2014, Program Leader, Diploma in Mass Communication, School of Communication, SEGi University.
- MARCH 2007- NOV 2009, Principal, Cosmopoint International College of Technology, Penang Branch.
- Vice Principal, Han Chiang College, Penang.
- Vice President cum Executive Officer of Han Chiang TV & News Centre.
- JULY 2020-Present, Exco Member, Malaysian Social Science Association (Persatuan Sains Sosial Malaysia).
- MARCH 2020- Present,Program Assessor, Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Member, Curricula Review Committee Faculty of Communication and Creative Desgin (Communication Studies), SEGi University (2019-2020)
- Member, Communication Research Cluster, Faculty of Communication and Creative Desgin (Communication Studies), SEGi University (2016-2020)
- Member, Teaching and Learning Committee, SEGi University (2014- 2020)
- Member, Teaching and Learning Committee, KDU College Penang (2011-2013)
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2020). Chinese Cultural Preservation, Identity and Community: Examining the roles of Sin Chew Daily in Bridging Chinese Education, Cultural and Religious Rights of the Chinese Community in Malaysia. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences and Humanity, 28 (2), 1335-1355. Serdang: UPM Press.
(Scopus indexed journal)
- Wan Puspa Melati, Ng Miew Luan, Sharifah Syahirah. (2020). Ethical News Reporting Before and After the 14th General Election: The Malaysian Journalists Experiences. Southeast Asian Social Sciences Review, 5 (1), 53-79. Bangi: Institut Kajian Malaysia dan Antarabangsa (IKMAS).
(Mycite indexed journal)
- Ng Miew Luan. (2020). The Press and the State Power in the Internet Era: Sin Chew Daily One Year before the 13th General Election. Test Engineering and Management.
(Scopus indexed journal)
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2018). Chinese Press and Malaysian Politics: Sin Chew Daily and the Malaysian 13th General Election. International Journal of Management and Applied Science (IJMAS), 4 (2), 41-47.
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2018). Malaysian Chinese language newspapers and national identity: A study of the roles of Sin Chew Daily in Chinese cultural preservation and nation building. Journal of Malaysian Studies/ Kajian Malaysia, 36(1), 63-103.
(Scopus indexed journal)
- Chandrasekaran Vereaiah & Ng Miew Luan. (2017). Journalism education in private higher learning institutions in Malaysia: Factors affecting undergraduates’ choice. Asia Pacific Journal of Business, Humanities & Education, 2(1), 19-35.
- Ng Miew Luan & Lim Lai Hoon. (2008). Journalism education in Malaysia. Media Asia, 35(1), 84-109.
- Ng Miew Luan. (2004). The representation of newspapers of different languages regarding demonstrations of Malaysia’s Reform Movement in 1998: A Case Study of Utusan Malaysia and Sin Chew Jit Poh. Journal of Han Chiang College, 2, 25-35.
- Ng Miew Luan. (2018). Private Universities: The Tension between Quality and Market Forces (私立大学：教育素质和市场的张力). In Phoon, W.K. (Ed.). The Dilemma of Malaysian’s Higher Education (困局中的大学：浮躁.族群.市场化).pp.214-225. Batu Caves: Mentor Publishing.
- Khor Yoke Lim & Ng Miew Luan. Chinese newspapers, ethnic identity and the state: The case of Malaysia. In Wanning Sun (Ed.). 2006, Media and the Chinese Diaspora: Community, Communications and Commerce, (pp. 137-149). USA: Routledge.
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2019). Editorials, Opinions and Elections: A Content Analysis of Sin Chew Daily before the 13th General Election. Paper presented in the International Conference on Communication, Language, Education and Social Sciences 2019, 11-12 November, Multimedia University, Melaka. (eISBN: 978-967-2387-07-7)
- Wan Puspa Melati, Ng Miew Luan & Sharifah Syahirah. (2019). Beyond Agency Factors: Systematic Restrictions and Challenges of Ethical News Reporting Among Journalist in Malaysia. Paper presented in the International Conference on Communication, Language, Education and Social Sciences 2019, 11-12 November, Multimedia University, Melaka. (eISBN: 978-967-2387-07-7)
- Ng Miew Luan, Ng Miew Hoon & Tan Tiam Lai. (2019). Information Liberalization, Sin Chew Daily and the State Power One Year before the 13th General Election. Paper presented in the International Conference on Industry 4.0: A Global Revolution in Business, Technology and Productivity 2019, 5-7 September 2019, SEGi University. (eISBN: 978-967-77333)
- Tan Tiam Lai, Ng Miew Hoon & Ng Miew Luan. (2019). Kajian Analisis Kontrastif Dalam Penggunaan Kata Bilangan Bahasa Cina Dan Bahasa Melayu Di Kalangan Pelajar-pelajar Melayu Sebagai Bahasa Kedua (A Constructive Analysis on the Use of Collective Noun in Chinese and Malay Languages among the Malay Students Who Studied Chinese as Their Second Language). Paper presented in International Conference of Modern Language Education 4.0 2019, 23-24 November 2019, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, Perak.
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2018). Chinese Cultural Preservation: Examining Sin Chew Daily, Chinese Education and Culture in Malaysia. Paper presented in The 11th International Malaysian Studies Conference 2018, 13-14 August 2018, Adya Hotel, Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia.
- Ng Miew Luan & Lee Yuen Beng. (2017). Chinese press and Malaysian politics: Sin Chew Daily and the Malaysian 13th general election. Paper presented at the 103rd International Conference on Management, Economics and Social Science-ICMESS, Lagos, Nigeria 15-16 December, 2017.
- Chandrasekaran Veeraiah & Ng Miew Luan. (2017). Journalism education in private higher learning institutions in Malaysia: Factors affecting undergraduates’ choice. Paper presented at the ISA-RC 14, Interim Conference 2016, New Delhi on February 26-28, 2017.
- Ng Miew Luan. (2014). The Chinese language newspaper and nation-building in Malaysia: A study of Sin Chew Daily. Paper presented at The Second Biennial International Conference on Malaysian Chinese Studies, Kuala Lumpur on 20-21 June, 2014.
- Ng Miew Luan. (2012). Street demonstration and media representation: A study of 1998 Malaysia Reform Movement demonstration news coverage. Paper presented at Asian Congress for Media and Communication International Conference, Chulalongkorn University on 25-27 October, 2012.