The spirit of innovation is one of the Quest International University Perak (QIU)’s main tenets. Our researchers pursue fields of study that focus on helping mankind and making a difference in the world. This was proven when researchers from the Faculty of Science & Technology and Faculty of Medicine recently had their FRGS (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme) and HRGS (Herbal Research Grant Scheme) applications approved for 2019.
Total grants received were worth RM621,000 with three projects from FRGS receiving RM271,600 and one project from HRGS receiving RM350,000. The projects receiving grants this time around are:
FRGS (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme)
- ISLAMIC FINANCE PORTFOLIO OPTIMIZER WITH ARTIFICIAL BEES COLONY ALGORITHM (ISLAMIC FINTECH)
- Project Leader- Dr Goh Khang Wen
- Collaborators: Prof Latif Salleh, Muhamad Fadhirul Anuar Mohd Azami. The duration is 3 years
- A New Method Based on Deep Learning for Predictive Maintenance of High Voltage Induction Motor in Equatorial Climate Zone
- Project Leader: Dr Nurul Rawaida Ain Bt Burhani
- Collaborators: Prof IR Dr Shuib Sahudin, Dr Noor Hidayah Zakaria. Duration is 2 years
- Enhanced phyto-evaluation of Vetiver grass (Vetiveria zizanioides (Linn.) Nash in highly contaminated As-Cr metals soil conditions in Malaysia.
- Project Leader: Dr Ng Chuck Chuan
- Collaborators: Dr Paran Gani, Dr Ang Kean Hua. Duration is 2 years.
HRGS (Herbal Research Grant Scheme)
- A Randomized, Double-masked, Placebo-controlled Exploratory Study to Evaluate Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics of Orally Administered Standardized Orthosiphon Stamineus
- Project Leader: Assoc. Prof Dr Aman Shah Abdul Majid. Duration is 2 years.
The university has a tradition of constantly winning grants for their projects which include Malaysia Toray Science Foundation (MTSF) Science and Technology Research Grant, Prototype Research Grant Scheme (PRGS), NKEA Herbal Research Grant Scheme (NRGS), Herbal Research Grant Scheme (HRGS) and other industry research grants as well.
These government grants aims to propagate the generation of new theories, concepts and ideas that can be the catalyst for new discoveries that can be a breakthrough for innovation and knowledge. Criteria for submission of a project includes the research must be able to generate new ideas/theories/concepts/methods/models/processes; and the research has to improve a policy, methodology and existing solution model. Furthermore, the research covers humanitarian and community issues with the purpose of increasing the value of life in the country and the world; or the research has a potential to contribute to the country’s strategic agenda.
We take this opportunity to congratulate all our researchers on their excellent achievement.