CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND INNOVATION (CRI)
Explore the World of Research And Innovation @ QIU
The CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND INNOVATION aims at enhancing and strengthening the current research management system by intensifying R&D efforts in order to improve productivity and efficiency, so as to produce quality research findings and outputs in line with QIU’s vision of being a research-led University.
Our stellar cast of researchers who serve as supervisors and examiners for Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy in Science programmes
Prof. Dr. Vilasini Pillai
Dr. Lee Sin Li
Dr. Hema Ramachandran
Dr. Kamariah Hasan
Dr. Wendy Liu Ying Ying
Dr. Rajiv A/L Ravi
Dr. Sharanjit Kaur
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Lee Lam Hong
Dr. Noor Hidayah Bt. Zakaria
Dr. Paran Gani
Dr. Ng Chuck Chuan
Ms. Harleen Kaur
The Centre for Research and Innovation (CRI) offers this set of guidelines to recommend appropriate roles and responsibilities for Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) and for their recruitment and appointment.
Application is open to all Malaysian and International citizens who are already offered to study in a Masters (by research) or PhD programme at Quest International University Perak. A successful applicant is not allowed to receive any other financial support or scholarship/fellowship, and should not be engaged in any type of employment.
Applicant’s number of semesters must not exceed:
i) Masters : 4 semesters.
ii) PhD : 6 semesters.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s degree (for Master) or Master degree (for PhD) in a related discipline;
- Should be registered into Master/PhD program within 6 months after being successfully recruited;
- Bachelor’s or Master degree with CGPA > 3.0 or equivalent;
- Excellent proficiency in English (written and spoken);
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Right sense of urgency, hardworking, pro-active, and willing to learn new skills/things;
- As a research assistant, you are required to pay the tuition fees and the miscellaneous fees;
- Fee waiver is subject only on case by case basis.
- Appointment Status:
- Monthly Stipend:
Graduate Research Assistants typically are paid on the beginning of the following month. The allowance criteria are as follows:
Postgraduate Student status
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
RM 1000 – RM 1500
PhD in Science
The Director of Centre for Research and Innovation (CRI) is responsible for verifying eligibility for an assistantship and making offers of reappointment on a semester basis to the recommended candidates by executing an Appointment Agreement containing the terms and conditions of the assistantship, including title, stipend, term of appointment, and other terms and conditions of appointment (if any) and a Duties and Responsibilities addendum as appropriate that specifies the (1) educational requirements; (2) job requirements; (3) duties, and (4) performance standards for the appointment. GRAs are expected to achieve a satisfactory level of progress as agreed upon with their supervisor (s) for every semester. The GRAship will be terminated for those whose supervisor(s) deem the candidate’s progress of the research is below expectations.
- Working Hours:
GRA is required to complete 20 working hours per month. If the maximum working hours is not achieved, a prorate allowance will be provided based on the number of working hours. The GRA is required to fill in the GRA attendance form for each session which will be verified by the Supervisor and HOD/HOP/PC.
Each Graduate Research Assistant is assigned a supervisor at the time of appointment. These supervisors are responsible for providing guidance and support to the graduate assistants and to ensure that they are prepared to carry out the duties of their assistantships.
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI):
Provide research and writing assistance to the supervisor and Research Centre. The GRA responsibilities vary greatly and may include, but are not limited to:
- Tutoring individual or small groups of students;
- Assisting a faculty member with tutorials or practical classes;
- Assisting lab staff for the preparation of practical classes;
- Assisting in performing other tasks or events such as preparation of exhibition and presentations, education fair, etc.;
- Publish at least one (1) paper in ISI-indexed journal during the candidature;
- Applications should be forwarded to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) in the following order through the Supervisor/Head of the Project, and Director of Centre for Research and Innovation (CRI).
- After endorsement from the Director of the CRI, the application will be submitted to the COO’s office for final approval.
Applicants to fill in Graduate Assistantship form
Endorsement by Director of CRI
Upon approval by COO, GRA appointment letter containing terms of references will be issued out
- By accepting the assistantship you enter into an agreement you are obliged to honor. If it becomes necessary for you to leave this position during the course of the year please give the University at least one (1) month advance notice. Please be aware that you will forfeit your tuition and fees waiver and be liable for the full payment of tuition and fees;
- You will be expected to operate within the University guidelines and follow University policy and practice at all times;
- Assisting with research requires you to comply with all legal and ethical policies including those governing the use and care of animals, biosafety, and human subjects;
- Failure to comply with work expectations could result in verbal counseling and repeated offenses could lead to termination.
*Note: Subject to change
List of Research Centres:
|No.||Event title||Date||More Information|
|1||5th International Conference on Bioscience and Biotechnology 2020 – (Bio Tech 2020)|
27 – 28 February 2020
|No.||Event title||Date||More Information|
|1||International Research Conference on Pharmaceutical and Allied Sciences (IRCPAS 2020)|
7 – 8 March 2020
Here is where you can find the latest research groups created by QIU academics.
Learning through attending conferences and workshops opens up the minds of students.
2nd International Conference on Medical Science Technology (ICMST)
PhD student Rabbia Alamdar attended the 2nd International Conference on Medical Science Technology (ICMST) held in November 2018, which saw speakers and delegates from academia, research centres, and the industry sharing insight and disseminating research findings related to medical science technology. The conference was divided into four sub-themes:
- Public Health
- Clinical laboratory
- Biomedical Science
- Healthcare Innovation
The Oral Presentation and the full paper on “Integrated Medicine Management System for Malaysian Healthcare Sector” was under the theme “Healthcare Innovation”..
Brilliant achievements showcased by students in competitions
QIU wins award at Green Technovation Challenge 2019
Students pursuing the Master of Science (Environmental Technology) programme, Turkeswari Uverajan and Nur Hanis Zulkernain together with their advisor, Dr. Paran Gani bagged the 2nd runner-up award at the Green Technovation Challenge 2019 which was held at KDU University College Utropolis, Glemarie Campus recently. The QIU team presented about their Eco-Friendly Plastic Bricks with Agro Waste project, impressing the panel of judges.