ABOUT THE FACULTY OF PHARMACY
ABOUT FACULTY OF
Welcome to the Faculty of Pharmacy!
Fully Accredited – MQA/FA/3618
Pharmacy is an evolving profession with a major shift towards patient care, where the pharmacist’s role is in pharmacotherapy and the ensuring of the achievement of therapeutic end-points. We at QIU envision our graduates to be prepared for pharmacy practice in the industry, which includes pharmaceutical quality assurance, community pharmacy, research and development of drugs and pharmacy management.
The Bachelor of Pharmacy programme at (QIU) has been fully accredited for the maximum five-year period by the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia and the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
During this accreditation, we excelled in 10 areas of good practice, including Vision, Mission and Goals; Curriculum Design and Delivery; Educational Programme; Student Selection and Student Support Services; Teaching and Academic staff; Educational Resources; Programme Monitoring and Review; Leadership; Governance and Administration; Total Continuous Quality Improvement; and Self-critique and Outcome Measures.
Our innovative programme infuses real-world experience from Year 1 of the programme, unlike traditional programmes where exposure to practice aspects come in the later years of the programme. This experiential learning covers the three main tenets of pharmacy practice – clinical pharmacy, industrial pharmacy, and community pharmacy.
Pharmacists working in hospitals and clinical environments interact with medical doctors and see the same patients as their medical counterparts. In line with this, Pharmacy students in QIU take basic medical science courses i.e. anatomy, physiology, pathology, biochemistry, microbiology and immunology conducted by experts from the Faculty of Medicine- which are the same courses taken by QIU’s medical students
Student-centred learning is highly-emphasised throughout QIU’s Pharmacy programme. We prepare our students to master communication skills, teamwork, leadership skills, presentation skills, confidence building, time management and evidence-based learning.
We provide one of the most holistic and extensive pharmacy degree programmes in Malaysia. Join us and fulfil your full potential.
Professor Datuk Dr. Allan Mathews
To be a progressive and innovative leader in pharmaceutical education, research and in the development of quality pharmacy practitioners with a long-life learning mindset in Malaysia and beyond.
- To prepare the students through a balanced programme of education to practice in hospitals and health centres, providing high quality pharmaceutical care; in the pharmaceutical industry in ensuring quality of medicines and in the community pharmacy in providing primary healthcare.
- To nurture IT-proficient and committed pharmacy professionals.
- To train knowledgeable pharmacists for effective communication with other healthcare professionals for the betterment of patients.
- To inculcate high ethical standards and a “serve the community” mentality within pharmacy graduates.
- To be committed towards training and capacity building of faculty and staff for attaining high standards of teaching and research excellence.
- To inculcate a life-long learning mind-set.