- MBBS (1977)
- MD (Microbiology 1983)
- Ph D (Epidemiology 1990)
Teaching & Research Experience:
- Teaching and research from 1980 (35 years of experience)
- Teaching Microbiology / Epidemiology / Professional Development for following courses: PhD (guidance), MD, DPH, MAE (Master in Applied Epidemiology), MPH, MSc (ME), MSc (Science), MBBS, BDS, BPharm, Bsc (Nursing) and Bacholor in Physiotherapy
- Research Experience:
- Investigator of several WHO / TDR and ICMR projects leading to the development of Global strategy for control and elimination Lymphatic filariasis
- Studies on Epidemiology and Control of Malaria
- Conducted clinical trials for lymphatic filariasis
- Development and evaluation of diagnostic test for filariasis
- Study on aetio-pathogenesis, immunopathology of filarial lymphodema
- Development of mathematical model, Geographical mapping tool, Rapid Assessment Procedures for filariasis
- Clinical epidemiology and management of filarial morbidity including surgical intervention
- Clinical epidemiology of Melioidosis in Malaysia
Major Research Interests:
- Epidemiology and Control of Tropical Vector borne diseases (including clinical epidemiology, Mathematical modelling, Geographical mapping, application of GIS, Rapid Assessment Procedures etc.);
- Control / Elimination Strategy development and evaluation (including parasite control / vector control and morbidity control);
- Clinical trials;
- Development and evaluation of diagnostics;
- Disease pathogenesis and morbidity management;
- Socio-economic research including health economics aspects
- Antibiotic susceptibility of bacterial pathogens
- Consultant – Adviser to WHO / TDR (1989 – 2012)
- Resource person for World Bank on Road map for control of Neglected Tropical Diseases supported by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Editor for Internationl journals – Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Infectious Diseases , World Journal of Methodology, World Journal of Metaanalyses
- Reviewer several international journals including PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, E PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, Emerging Infectious Diseases, Transactions of Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hyegine, Tropical Medicine & International Health, Acta Tropica, Journal of Communicable Diseases, Indian Journal of Medical Research, Indian Journal of Pharmacology, Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, Journal of Parasitic Diseases World Journal of Medicine, World Journal of Clinical Cases, World Journal of Methodology, World Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases
- Member of Global Alliance for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis (GAELF)
Administrative Appointments /Committee Involvements:
- Deputy Dean (Pre-clinical), Faculty of Medicine
- Member of Senate, QIUP
- Chairman of QIUP Joint Committee on Biosafety/ Animal Care, Use & Ethics / Human Research & Ethics
- Member of Management Committee, Curriculum Committee, Evaluation and Assessment Committee, Research Committee at FoM, QIUP
Prof. Dr. Pani has published 142 papers with 2034 citations and overall h index of 27 as on 18 Jan 2016.
- Das, L.K., Pani, S.P., Vanamail, P.,Vijayalakshmi, G., DeBritto, L.J. (2012). Cost-effective antigen testing for delimitation, monitoring and evaluation in bancroftian filariasis. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, pp. 1-7 .Article in Press PMID:22290349 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- Hassan MR, Mustapha NR, Zawawi FM, Earnest BS, Voralu K, Pani SP. (2011). A comparison of genotype and markers of disease severity of chronic hepatitis C in patients with and without end-stage renal disease. Singapore Med J. 2011 Feb; 52(2):86-9.
- Radzi, M., Pani, S.P., Peng, Ng P, Voralu, K. Vijayalakshmi, N., Mehanderkar, R, Norasmidar A. Aziz & and Edwin Michael (2010). Incidence, risk factors and clinical epidemiology of melioidosis: a complex socio-ecological emerging infectious disease in the Alor Setar region of Kedah, Malaysia. BMC Journal of Infectious Diseases 10: 302. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/10/302
- Ramaiah, K.D.; Das P.K., Vanamail P. and Pani, S.P. Impact of 10 years of diethylcarbamazine and ivermectin mass administration on infection and transmission of lymphatic filariasis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007 Jun; 101(6):555-63.
- Srividya, A., Michael, E., Palaniyandi, M., Pani, S.P. and Das, P.K. A geo-statistical analyses of the geographic distribution of lymphatic filariasis prevalence in South India. American J trop Med and Hyg 67 (2002):480-89.
- Vijayalakshmi, N, Samabasiva Rao, R., Anand Paul Kumar, M.P., Yuvaraj, J and Pani S.P. Role of aerobic bacteria in the aetio-pathogenesis of acute adenolymphangitis (ADL) in filarial lymphoedema. Lymphology 33 (Suppl) (2000): 163.
- Pani, S.P., Hoti, S.L., Elango, A., Yuvaraj, J., Lall, R. and Ramaiah, K.D. Evaluation of the ICT whole blood antigen card test to detect infection due to nocturnally periodic Wuchereria bancrofti in South India. Tropical Medicine and International Health; 5 (2000):359-363.
- Norman, R.A., Chan, M.S., Srividya, A., , S.P., Ramaiah, K.D., Vanamail, P., Michael, E., Das, P.K. and Bundy, D.A.P. EPIFIL: The development of an age structured model for descibing the transmission dynamics and control of lymphatic filariasis. Epidemiology and infection.124 (2000): 529-541.
- Elango, A. Paily, K.P., Pani, S.P., Yuvaraj, J, Anand Paul Kumar, M.P. Histopathology and Immuno-pathology of skin in different grades of lymphoedema (W. bancrofti) in South India. Lymphology 33 (Suppl) (2000): 162.
- S.P., Yuvaraj, J. Vanamail, P., Dhanda, V., Michael, E. Grenfell, B.T. and Bundy, D.A.P. Episodic adenolymphangitis and lymphodema in patients with bancroftian filariasis. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89 (1995):72-74.
- Pani, S.P., Balakrishnan, N., Srividya, A. Bundy, D.A.P. and Grenfell. B.T. Clinical epidemiology of bancroftian filariasis: effect of age and gender. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85 (1991):260-264.
- Rajagopalan, P.K., Das, P.K., Pani, S.P., Jambulingam, P., Mohapatra, S.S.S., Gunasekaran, K. and Das, L.K. Parasitological aspects of malaria persistence in Koraput District, Orissa, India. Indian Journal of Medical Research 91 (1990):44-51.