- BSc Biomedical Science (UPM)
- PhD Pharmacology (NUS)
Teaching & Research Experience:
- Teaching – QIUP (Nov 2013 – now)
- Research – UPM (2007 – 2008), NUS (2009 – 2013)
Major Research Interests:
- Metabolic diseases (Obesity, Type 2 diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia)
- Glucose homeostasis (Insulin-signaling & non-insulin dependent pathways)
- Glucose and lipid metabolisms in liver, skeletal muscles and adipose tissues
- Pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and phytoceuticals/natural products
Administrative Appointments /Committee Involvements:
Advisor, Q Care Club, QIUP
- Yong VC, Ong KW, Sidik SM, Rosli R, Chong PP (2009) A modified in situ RT-PCR method for localizing fungal-specific gene expression in Candida-infected mice renal cells. Journal of microbiological methods 79: 242-245.
- Ong KW, Hsu A, Song L, Huang D, Tan BKH (2011) Polyphenols-rich Vernonia amygdalina shows anti-diabetic effects in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 133: 598-607.
- Ong KW, Hsu A, Tan BKH (2012) Chlorogenic acid stimulates glucose transport in skeletal muscle via AMPK activation: A contributor to the beneficial effects of coffee on diabetes. PLoS ONE 7.
- Ong KW, Hsu A, Tan BKH (2013) Antidiabetic and antilipidemic effects of chlorogenic acid are mediated by AMPK activation. Biochemical Pharmocology 85: 1341-1351.
- Tan BKH, Ong KW (2013) Influence of dietary polyphenols on carbohydrate metabolism; Watson RR, Preedy VR, Zibadi S, editors. US: Elsevier.