- Bsc (Hons) in Applied Biology (USM, 2009)
- PhD in Microbial Biotechnology (USM, 2014)
Teaching and Research Experience:
- Teaching – (April 2014 – Present) [QIUP]
- Research – (2009 – Present)
Research Areas of Interests:
Production of biopolymer using bacteria, with particular emphasis on the P(3HB-co-4HB) copolymer and development of PHA based nanocomposites.
On-going Research Projects:
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS)
- Research title: Influence of glycerine pitch on the mechanism of regulation of 4HB monomer composition in the P(3HB-co-4HB) copolymer biosynthesis
- Approved budget: RM 129 015
- Amirul, A.-A., Ramachandran, H., Huong, K.-H. and Kannusamy, S. (2015). Microbial-based polyhydroxyalkanoates: Upstream and Downstream Processing. Smithers Rapra, United Kingdom.
- Ramachandran, H., Kannusamy, S., Huong, K.-H., Mathava, R. and Amirul, A.-A. (2014) Blends of polyhydroxyalkanoates. (Eds): Roy, I. and Visakh, P.M. Polyhydroxyalkanoates based blends, composites and nanocomposites, United Kingdom: Royal Society of Chemistry, 66-97.
Administrative Appointments /Committee Involvements:
- Advisor of QIUP Hindu Society commencing from 1st May 2015
- Secretariat Member of the Joint Committee on Issues Related to Biosafety/Animal Care, Use and Ethics/Human Research Ethics commencing from 1st June 2015.
- Course coordinator (Biochemistry 1 & 2, Fermentation technology and Microbial Physiology)
- Ramachandran, H., Iqbal, M.A. and Amirul, A.A. (2014) Identification and Characterization of the Yellow Pigment Synthesized by Cupriavidus sp. USMAHM13. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 174:461-470.
- Ramachandran, H. & Amirul, A.A. (2014). Bioconversion of glycerine pitch into a novel yellow-pigmented P(3HB-co-4HB) copolymer: Synergistic effect of ammonium acetate and polymer characteristics. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 172, 891-909.
- Ramachandran, H. & Amirul, A.A. (2013). Evaluation of unrefined glycerine pitch as an efficient renewable carbon resource for the biosynthesis of novel yellow-pigmented P(3HB-co-4HB) copolymer towards green technology. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 18, 1250-1257.
- Ramachandran, H. & Amirul, A.A. (2013). Yellow-pigmented Cupriavidus sp., a novel bacterium capable of utilizing glycerine pitch for the sustainable production of P(3HB-co-4HB). Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 88, 1030-1038.
- Hema, R., Ng, P.N. & Amirul, A.A. (2013). Green nanobiocomposite: reinforcement effect of montmorillonite clays on physical and biological advancement of various polyhydroxyalkanoates. Polymer Bulletin, 70, 755-771.
- Ramachandran H., Iqbal N. M., Sipaut C. S. & Amirul A. A. (2011). Biosynthesis and characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate-co-4-hydroxybutyrate) terpolymer with various monomer compositions by Cupriavidus sp. USMAA2-4. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 164, 867-877.