- Teaching Experience: 10 Years
- Research Experience: 10 Years
Major Research Interest:
Dr. Aman currently heads and coordinates several ongoing international regulatory clinical trials evaluating the safety and efficacy of standardized botanical drugs as adjuvant therpay for cancer management.
His main pre-clinical research interest is in the development and testing of novel therapeutic agents derived from natural products for the treatment of cancer, age related neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia, glaucoma and age related macula degeneration. His research at Oxford University led by the eminent Professor of Ocular Neuroscience, Neville N. Osborne in collaboration with CTG Pharma, Italy, was the world’s first to evaluate the hydrogen sulphide releasing (ACS) derivatives in a model of ischaemia induced retinal neuron degeneration. This novel scientific data was recently published in numerous high impact peer reviewed international journals.
In collaboration with several private R&D and pharmaceutical companies, he has helped to develop a robust research platform in the study and development of natural and synthetic compounds which can potentially modulate molecular pathways involved in neurodegeneration, inflammation, angiogenesis and carcinogenesis. To date he has helped secure almost 50 million ringgit of research grants for which he acts as a principal as well as a co-researcher. He has over 30 international publications and has won numerous prestigious academic research and innovation awards.
Medical Consultant under the Ministry of Agriculture’s (Entry Point Project 1 High Value Herbs) to NKEA pharmaceutical companies engaging in herbal drug development from pre-clinical to clinical research:
- NatureCeuticals Sdn. Bhd.
- Orchid Life Sdn. Bhd.
- Deputy Chairman: Penang Cancer and Angiogenesis Research Society
- Honorary Medical Consultant – LiveYoung Sdn. Bhd.
- Member of New Zealand Cancer Society, Otago, Dunedin
- Assoc. Member of The Royal College of Physicians Edinbrugh
- Assoc. Member of The Royal College of Physcians, London
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine ,London,UK
Administrative appointment/ committee involvements:
- Member of The Join Committee on Issues Related to Biosafety/Animal Care, Use & Ethics/Human Research Ethics, Quest International University
- Assoc. Editor: Cancer Therapeutics Letters, Singapore
- Editor: Austin Journal of Pharmaceutical and Analytical Chemistry, USA
- Editor (Aging/Neurosciences): WebMed Central, United Kingdom
- Reviewer: PLOS One (inc. several other ISI journals)
- Editor: Aperito Journal of Ophthalmology, California, USA
- ACS67, a hydrogen sulfide–releasing derivative of latanoprost acid, attenuates retinal ischemia and oxidative stress to RGC-5 cells in culture (NN Osborne, D Ji, ASA Majid, RJ Fawcett, A Sparatore, P Del Soldato, Investigative ophthalmology & visual science 51 (1), 284-294)
- Glutamate oxidative injury to RGC-5 cells in culture is necrostatin sensitive and blunted by a hydrogen sulfide (H 2 S)-releasing derivative of aspirin (ACS14) (NN Osborne, D Ji, ASA Majid, P Del Soldata, A Sparatore, Neurochemistry international 60 (4), 365-378)
- Crystal structure elucidation and anticancer studies of (-)-pseudosemiglabrin: a flavanone isolated from the aerial parts of Tephrosia apollinea, (LEA Hassan, MBK Ahamed, ASA Majid, MA Iqbal, FSR Al Suede, PloS one 9 (3), e90806)
- Correlation of antiangiogenic, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of some Sudanese medicinal plants with phenolic and flavonoid contents, (LEA Hassan, MBK Ahamed, ASA Majid, HM Baharetha, NS Muslim, BMC complementary and alternative medicine 14 (1), 1)
- Slow regulated release of H2S inhibits oxidative stress induced cell death by influencing certain key signaling molecules, (ASA Majid, AMSA Majid, ZQ Yin, D Ji, Neurochemical research 38 (7), 1375-1393)
- Sulphur antioxidants inhibit oxidative stress induced retinal ganglion cell death by scavenging reactive oxygen species but influence nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2 signalling pathway differently. (AS Majid, ZQ Yin, D Ji, Biological & pharmaceutical bulletin 36 (7), 1095-1110)
- Anti-tumor activity of Eurycoma longifolia root extracts against K-562 cell line: in vitro and in vivo study (OSA Al-Salahi, D Ji, AMSA Majid, C Kit-Lam ASA Majid PloS one 9 (1), e83818)
- Conjugation of benzylvanillin and benzimidazole structure improves DNA binding with enhanced antileukemic properties (ZA Al-Mudaris, ASA Majid, D Ji, BA Al-Mudarris, SH Chen, PH Liang, PloS one 8 (11), e80983)
- Human colon cancer targeted pro-apoptotic, anti-metastatic and cytostatic effects of binuclear Silver (I)–N-Heterocyclic carbene (NHC) complexes (M Asif, MA Iqbal, MA Hussein, CE Oon, RA Haque, MBK Ahamad, ASA Majid, European journal of medicinal chemistry 108, 177-187)